The outdoors is the perfect space to unwind, relax and take in all that life has to offer. Our backyards, patios, docks and verandas are the ultimate spaces to relax. Here are some tips on how to go about getting our spaces prepared for spring. Cleaning and sprucing up your outdoor furniture is vital in bringing your space to life!
Contrary to what many consumers believe, teak furniture does not need any critical maintenance or special care. Teak is a tropical hardwood, that when first bought appears as a lovely colour of honey and over time fades into a silver-grey colour due to the natural oils in the wood evaporating. In fact, it is the oil located under the surface of the wood that accounts for the lastingness of teak. Teak has the ability to be left outside throughout the year as it weathers naturally due to the light, air and rain and natural elements. For example, climates that are moist will speed up the weathering process compared to dry climates. Over time, the exquisite grey and silver shades on the exterior of the wood start to wash out naturally. The only cleaning required for teak is a light clean occurring only once or twice a year.
Cleaning teak can be done by using a hose with fresh water and applying it to the teak. The use of a high pressure hose should be avoided as it can destroy the surface of the wood. To clean teak properly, a household recipe of ? of laundry detergent, ¼ cup bleach in 1 gallon of water can be used. Scrub the teak using a brush with soft bristles or a sponge. Allow the solution to soak on the teak for approximately 15 minutes before rinsing. Finally, the teak should be rinsed with fresh water to eliminate any excess solution left over on the teak. This quick and easy clean will surely keep your teak furniture looking good for many years with the beautiful grey-silver finish. Hauser Company Stores also sells a superior teak cleaner. This can be purchased online or any of our stores. With this easy, quick maintenance, your teak will be clean in no time!
At one point or another, we catch ourselves thinking “An outdoor rug would be nice but how am I supposed to maintain it from the outdoors?” With kids, pets and the natural environment, having a clean carpet outside seems almost impossible; but it is not. Spilled ketchup? Dirt stains? Spilled drinks? There is nothing a little detergent cannot remove with the help of a brush and a hose. Do not stress- cleaning an outdoor rug is actually uncomplicated and an easy task. Follow these easy steps to keep your outdoor rug looking immaculate 24/7:
1. Roll up the rug so it can be easily transported.
2. Lay down the rug on a flat surface that will make for an easy and efficient clean.
3. Grab a bucket of water and fill it with a detergent or even bleach for more tough stains, such as red wine.
4. With a hose on high pressure, apply water to the detergent or bleach on the area that is stained. Lighter stains will come out with more ease, but those stubborn, dark stains may require more attention.
5. If desired, a brush can also be used to scrub the stained area to speed up the process of cleaning.
6. Rinse the rug with the hose until the stain is fully eliminated.
7. Once finished cleaning, prop up the carpet against a surface to allow the water to run off and evaporate so that it is dry.
See, it can be THAT easy. Your outdoor carpet will be as good as new in no time!
Outdoor cushions can transform your backyard into an oasis of vibrant shades, hues and patterns. Outdoor cushions are the perfect way to add you own flare to a space to make it your own. Keeping outdoor cushions looking pristine does not have to be a daunting task. It is not uncommon for cushions to get dirt on them or other elements such as oil and pollutants from the outdoors. Fabric cleaners make cleaning a simple task, while restoring outdoor cushions through tackling the toughest of dirt, oil and other relentless stains. Fabric cleaners have the ability to armour your outdoor cushions from anything from dirt to moisture. Products such as the Hauser fabric cleaner are water-based and good for our planet, yet not compromising the level of care and efficiency. This fabric cleaner contains no solvents, thus making sure not to disturb the skin if in contact. For everyday maintenance, following these simple steps will ensure your cushions remain spotless during those backyard relaxation days:
1. Brush off any dirt present on the cushions.
2. Apply a solution of soap mixed with water onto the fabric or Hauser fabric cleaner.
3. A brush that has a soft bristle should be used to clean the area that is dirty.
4. Let the solution of soap and water to penetrate into all the fibres of the fabric.
5. Rinse off the solution and allow the cushions to air dry.
The colours present in solution dyed acrylic fabrics contain detailed hues of colour withstanding rain, the sun and any other elements that would cause the colours to dim overtime. Solution dyed acrylic fibres simply means that the process of dying occurs when the acrylic material is created into yarn used for the fabric. The use of this type of fabric overall decreases the amount of fading that will occur overtime. Also, this type of fabric is durable and tough; managing more vigorous cleaning than your typical printed or piece-dyed fabrics.
For those prolonged, persistent stains, a chlorine bleach or soap that is diluted with water can help remove signs of mildew, run-off from the roof of your house or any other stains. To do this:
1. Create a solution consisting of ½ cup of chlorine bleach and ¼ cup of soap with one gallon of water or use the Hauser Fabric cleaner.
2. A brush with soft bristles can be used to rinse the stain and allow the solution to soak into the fibres of the fabric.
3. Rinse the area that is stained to remove excess product.
4. The area can be blotted with a sponge or towel to take care of the excess water.
5. Then allow the cushion to dry in the air an this process can be replicated again as needed.