The Canada Day long weekend is almost here; one of the most anticipated weekends of the whole summer! Yummy recipes, cocktails and outdoor furniture are essential for the perfect weekend at the cottage. Now sit back, relax and enjoy life from the comfort of your adirondack chair!
Fire Up the Good Ol’ BBQ
Grilling on the classic BBQ is a definite yes this weekend. Burgers and skewers followed with a fresh, summer salad is the perfect meal for entertaining guests in the backyard or having company up at the cottage. Be sure to follow this burger recipe to impress guests and satisfy all cravings!
The Great Canadian Gourmet Burger (tasteofBBQ.com)
- Serves: 6-8 people
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook time: approx. 16 minutes
- Heat required: 525F- 550F
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 tbsp garlic butter
- 6-8 pieces peameal bacon
- 6-8 buns
- Lettuce, onions, other condiments, etc.
- The first six ingredients can be mixed well in a large bowl with hands to combine together.
- Make sure to wet hands and shape ½ cup of the meat mixture in hands into a burger shape. Make sure to not overwork the meat and also add the 1 tbsp of the garlic butter onto the patty of the burger. Get another ¼ cup of the meat mixture and form a patty that is smaller. This can be placed over the first one and the butter so the butter is inside the burger. Pinch the edges in order to secure the top of the burger to the bottom while keeping butter inside. Make a slight indent in the top of each burger with your thumb. This reduces them from puffing up during cooking process.
- Clean the grates of BBQ and oil. BBQ should be at temperature of 500F. Rub small amounts of olive oil on each side of the pieces of peameal. When the grill reaches the needed temperature, place the peameal on the grates and close the lid. Cook each side of the bacon for approximately 4 minutes and when cooked, remove from grill and cover and set aside.
- Increase grill temperature to 525F-550F. When this range is reached, place burger patties on grill and cook each side for approximately 6 minutes per side. When burger is flipped, nice grill marks should be evident.
- Slather smoky maple BBQ sauce on each burger with cheddar these. Insert a thermometer into thickest burger and once thermometer reads 155F remove burgers from the grill.
- Let burgers sit and then add bacon and buns. Top with you choice of pickles, onions, tomatoes and of course a nice cold Canadian beer!
Canadian Cocktails for Canada
Food with the perfect cocktail is an amazing combo! With summer heating up, that only means the drink menu is also heating up. Make sure to add these Canadian cocktails to your menu to ensure for the best weekend ever!
- Canadian Day Cocktail (Chatelaine.com)
Muddle 6 fresh raspberries with ¼ cup of Victoria Gin, 11/2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp of maple syrup into a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into a class with ice. Top with club soda as well as fresh raspberries.
- Canadian Caesar (Chatelaine.com)
Run a lemon wedge around the rim of a tall glass and turn it upside down onto a plate with celery salt. Fill the glass with ice. Add 3 tbsp of vodka, 4 dashes of Tabasco, 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce and the leftover juice from the lemon wedge. Make sure to top with Clamato juice and a generous amount of ground up pepper. Garnish with a stalk of celery or even another lemon wedge.
- 3) Maple rye & ginger (Chatelaine.com)
Mix ¼ cup of Canadian rye along with 1 tbsp of maple syrup in a lowball glass until nicely combines. Top with ginger ale and add ice.
With plenty of time for family and friends this weekend, make sure to keep yourself and your company comfortable!
These chairs are necessary for the long weekend because they are truly so comfortable! Sitting back and relaxing is the goal with this chair as the angle of the chair allows your weight to be spread out throughout the back as well as the upper body. Aside from comfort, this chair is the most versatile of outdoor furniture as it can be used for many purposes. The armmest acts as a small table to enjoy a coffee out on the porch or maybe a glass of wine after dinner. Possibly the perfect spot to put down your summer novel or there when you need it when reading the paper. Overall this chair will not disappoint!
Check out our Adirondack collection online for styles including the Harbourview Muskoka Chair to the Adirondack Flat-back and much more!
Happy Canada Day! Make it a good one!